Sunday 14 February 2010

Quarter Calls

I have decided!!! It is such a weight off my mind Very Happy It is also such a lovely relaxing feeling... peaceful Smile
I am of Celtic stock, my Father was Scottish my Mother is English so I've always felt at home with Celtic/British mythology, it's probably why I never really got on with the idea of the Greek Anemoi, so to that end I have finally chosen animals sacred to the Celts.. with a slight twist seeing as how cats aren't traditionally sacred to them, but they are to me Smile

For Earth: The Stag, lord of the forest. Whenever I see a forest, especially when I'm being driven past one on the motorway, I always envision a stag keeping pace with me through the trees, hooves pounding the earth...

For Air: The Wren, king of the birds. They are so secretive, so small and.. I feel a thrill whenever I catch a glimpse of one in the hedgerow. I absolutely love the tale of how the wren was dubbed king of the birds, apparently there was a competition to see how high the birds could fly, whoever went the highest would be crowned, everyone thought it would be the strong eagle, he flew towards the sun until he could go no higher and called down to the rest of the birds, however at that moment the sneaky wren leaped out of his hiding place amongst the eagle's feathers and flew even higher. A cunning little bird!

For Fire: The Cat, the slightly untraditional choice, to me they are creatures of fire, of the sun. They are never happier than when they are lounging in the midday sun, roasting themselves silly. There is a Celtic myth where the hero Maelduin ends up on the Island of the Cat, treasure is everywhere and against Maelduin's will his foster brother tries to steel a necklace but he is instantly turned to ash by the "fiery paw of the wondrous cat."

For Water: The Otter, I grew up listening to the story of Tarka the Otter and therefore learned to love them. They are fluid and playful just like the rivers and seas they live in. They have strong familial bonds, emotional ties that can cause them to mourn for a long time if their mate predeceases them. They embody water to me.

So yes, I am decided :)

The East:

I call upon the Cunning Wren
You who beat the eagle when
You tricked him with your artful scheme
You whose eyes with wisdom gleam
Guardian of the sacred East
Power of the wind released
I ask you please to guard my rite
And all that passes here tonight.

The South:

I call upon the lithesome cat
Soul of fiery passion that
Inspires us to creative heights,
peeks of rage and deep delights
Guardian of the sacred South
Power of the heart and mouth
I ask you please to guard my rite
And all that passes here tonight.

The West:

I call upon the playful Otter
Wise and sleekit water wanderer
Intuition and emotion,
Gifts from out the moonlit ocean
Guardian of the sacred West
Power of the sea expressed
I ask you please to guard my rite
And all that passes here tonight.

The North:

I call upon the Noble Stag
Lord of glen and mountain crag
Crowned with antlers, proud you stand
known of old throughout the land
Guardian of the sacred North
Power of the earth called forth
I ask you please to guard my rite
And all that passes here tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment