Sunday 14 February 2010

The Tree Meditation May 04, 2008

I first started meditating when I was at boarding school, way before I knew anything about Wicca, we had a rather hippy teacher who lived in the flat attached to our House and at the weekends she'd sometimes hold group meditations in one of the small piano rooms just off the common room. She'd turn all the lights out and light a candle for us to concentrate on while we listened to Enya's album Watermark. It was great! Since then I've always had a penchant for it but, as I mentioned in my previous post, I lack discipline. I've never held down a strict regime of meditation practice, never finding the time, preferring to watch TV... you name it I've used it as an excuse!

To aid my lazy self I have recorded the Tree meditation from Lesson One and set it to various tracks from Watermark using a bit of nifty software on my computer. I've left myself adequate time to do all the things required of the meditation and overall it lasts about 15 minutes. I've put this on my ipod so all I need do is plug it into my head and go for it! I find that it really helps as all I have to do is listen to the instructions. However, I don't plan on doing it for any other meditations as I don't want it to become a crutch.

I've done The Tree three of four times this week, I sometimes find it hard to find time to meditate as getting time to myself can be difficult. I'm working on it though and I find that just before going to sleep is a good time for me. I'm not the type who falls asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, far from it so I've not yet fallen asleep during a meditation even though I do it lying down. However it does help to relax me and therefore sleep better overall.

The first time I had many lovely images the most memorable of which was seeing a golden mirror image of the Tree (an oak) projecting down into the earth as it's root system. Feeding the energy from the sun into the earth so that the whole planet glowed with a soft light. Every tree, every plant had it's own little glowing root system, even the grass... even a daisy, it was beautiful; seeing how the earth gets her energy from a kind of photosynthesis.

The second time as well as experiencing the same images as the first, I saw myself becoming part of the tree by turning into a part of it rather than being absorbed, my skin turned to bark and my legs became gnarled roots.

The third time I looked more like a green woman, my face made out of leaves with skin like bark as before.

Every time so far my body has become one with the Tree and... my spirit I suppose went up into the tree as if I was standing inside the trunk; arms held out above me, hands reaching up to the leaves and feet, toes pointed, going down to the roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment