Saturday 13 February 2010

Research Project 3

I, like others, have decided to write my own version of the Opening of the Temple, I've been meaning to for years and this lesson was the perfect nudge in the right direction. Questions and comments are always welcome :)

So here it is:

Part One - Casting the Circle


Light the altar candles, quarter candles and incense.

Close your eyes and take a long slow breath in through the nose letting it fill your lungs completely then pause briefly before exhaling. Pause again before taking another breath and continue in this way for a little while, feeling yourself relax.

Take up the athame and place the tip into the water in the chalice, visualising energy flowing down through the blade.

"I cleanse this water of all bane
of pollution and of pain"

Then place the tip of the athame into the pot of salt and visualise more energy flowing through the blade.

"I bless this salt that it be fain
to cleanse this circle here arcane"

So done, use the point of the athame to transfer a pinch worth of salt into the chalice and stir it.

Starting at the altar in the East, take up the athame again and proceed sunwise around the circle visualising a line of coloured energy trailing behind the outstretched blade.

Now take up the chalice and go around the circle again, sprinkling the salted water along the way, visualising the elements of earth and water cleansing the circle, then sprinkle some of the water over yourself.

Next take the censer around the circle and visualise the elements of fire and air cleansing it, then waft the smoke over yourself.

Part Two - Invoking the Guardians


Starting in the East, use the athame to perform the invoking pentagram above the yellow candle while visualising the element of air. See a wren flutter into view

"I call upon the Cunning Wren
You who beat the eagle when
You tricked him with your artful scheme
You whose eyes with wisdom gleam
Guardian of the sacred East
Power of the wind released
I ask you please to guard my rite
And all that passes here tonight"

Move sunwise to the South, use the athame to perform the invoking pentagram above the red candle visualising the element of fire, see a sand coloured cat saunter into view

"I call upon the lithesome cat
Soul of fiery passion that
Inspires us to creative heights,
peeks of rage and deep delights
Guardian of the sacred South
Power of the heart and mouth
I ask you please to guard my rite
And all that passes here tonight"

Move sunwise to the West, use the athame to perform the invoking pentagram above the blue candle while visualising the element of water, see an otter swim into view

"I call upon the playful Otter
Wise and sleekit water wanderer
Intuition and emotion,
Gifts from out the moonlit ocean
Guardian of the sacred West
Power of the sea expressed
I ask you please to guard my rite
And all that passes here tonight"

Move sunwise to the North, use the athame to perform the invoking pentagram above the green candle while visualising the element of earth, see a stag stride into view

"I call upon the Noble Stag
Lord of glen and mountain crag
Crowned with antlers, proud you stand
known of old throughout the land
Guardian of the sacred North
Power of the earth called forth
I ask you please to guard my rite
And all that passes here tonight"

Return sunwise to the East and replace the athame on the altar.


Part Three: Inviting the Gods

Take up the wand and stand facing the centre of the circle, raising the wand on high invite the Goddess, visualise her arriving as you chant:

"Goddess of the silver crescent
Shining lady luminescent
Starlight veils your silken hair
Moonlight forms the robes you wear
Cast your glory down on me
Join my circle, hear my plea!"

Stay facing the centre of the circle and invite the God, again visualise him arriving as you chant:

"Lord of the Forest, Lord of the Sun
Here me now my plea's begun
Lord of the Dance, Lord of the Wild
Hear the voice of this Pagan child
Lord of the Hunt, Lord of the Sky
Join my circle, hear my cry!"

Return to the altar and replace the wand.

The rite can begin.


Taking Down the Temple

Stand in the centre of the circle and thank the God and Goddess for their attendance and visualise them departing. Say something off the top of your head appropriate to the theme of the ritual.

Go to the North and thank the guardian,

"Guardian of the sacred North
Power of the earth called forth
Go back now to where you dwell
I bid you thanks and fond farewell"

Perform the banishing pentagram then extinguish the candle and see the stag walk away. Move sunwise to the East

Thank the guardian

"Guardian of the sacred East
Power of the wind released
Go back now to where you dwell
I bid you thanks and fond farewell"

Perform the banishing pentagram then extinguish the candle and see the wren take flight. Move sunwise to the South

Thank the guardian

"Guardian of the sacred South
Power of the heart and mouth
Go back now to where you dwell
I bid you thanks and fond farewell"

Perform the banishing pentagram then extinguish the candle and see the cat move away with a flick of its tail. Move sunwise to the South

Thank the guardian

"Guardian of the sacred West
Power of the sea expressed
Go back now to where you dwell
I bid you thanks and fond farewell"

Perform the banishing pentagram then extinguish the candle and see the otter swim away.

Return to the altar, and feel the circle fade.

The rite is ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment