Saturday 13 February 2010

Research Project 4 Concerning Tools

NB This is a compilation of many posts so it may lack continuity

I have decided to follow the suggestion in the course and list my tools and how I made them so that it might help others to do similar. This is a work in progress and since I'm awaiting the arrival of someone I'll post the photos for now and I'll edit later to add the detail.

Athame:

Athame

I bought this athame at Glastonbury a while ago... well I bought most of it there, it used to look like this:

Athame

The black handle is made of plastic unfortunately and although I loved the blade I didn't use it because the handle didn't.. fit me is the best way of putting it. So I took a stanly knife to it. I carefully cut away the plastic and then knocked the pommel off with a hammer. All I was left with was the blade, guard and tang. I tried to remove the guard but couldn't.

Anyway, we have a hornbeam tree/bush in the garden and after it's annul trim I set to work on a piece of branch. Using the stanly knife I carved it into a new handle. Hornbeam is [i]hard[/i]! I sanded it down with increasingly fine sandpaper then oiled and sanded it again. I used a drill to make a hole large enough for the tang, did I mention Hornbeam is hard? I then fixed it with melted beeswax. I plan to burn a design onto the handle when I eventually get a pyrographer's tool.

Edit

An update on my athame:

As it is a tool associated with the Lord I drew upon mine a vision of the Green Man...

Athame

Athame

Wand:

Wand

I made this wand a couple of years ago. I had been looking for a suitable piece of wood for a while and one day when walking through Savernake Forest I finally found a piece. I had just about given up and was walking back to the car when I saw it, a small beech branch was lying on the path, fresh leaves still on it and it felt as if I had just dropped it there by mistake. I think it's important to get this feeling across properly, I didn't think "Ooh that would be good, I'll take it"... it felt like it was already mine and I'd lost it... and forgotten about it until I saw it on the ground.

When I got it home I stripped off the bark, I originally planned to leave the handle covered in bark but it didn't work out:

Wand

So I stripped the rest off as well then carved holes for the various crystals I wanted to embed in it:

Wand

Because I associate the wand with fire I chose fiery crystals; sunstone and amber (ok not a crystal :P ):

Wand

I fixed them in using melted beeswax again, the same method I used for the fixing the tip.
Diagram

I trimmed the end of the wand so it mirrored the angle of the crystal, smoky quarts to match the fire theme ;) then I stuck it on with beeswax and while the wax was still soft, bound it with suede thong.

Wand

I also added small citrine beads to the bends:
Wand"

Chalice:

Chalice

Er... I didn't actually make this! Charity shops are gooooooooooood!

Pentacle:

Pentacle Ceramic

I found this plain terracotta glazed plate in a charity shop and immediately saw the potential. I drew out a design then transferred it to the plate using carbon paper, so done I used a dremmel to grind off the glaze over the carbon marks. The inscription reads "With wonder do I think on thee oh Goddess of the Green Earth"

Edit

I recently made myself a new pentacle, I found round board at Oxfam the other week and realised I could pyrograph it, this has now been done and I am ready to consecrate it on Sunday during my full moon ritual so it's ready for the big ritual!

Here it is:

Wooden Pentacle

Consecration of Tools

Have ready the Athame, Wand, Chalice and Pentacle to be consecrated in that order. Have lit some incense and nine tealights, and have ready a dish of water and one of salt. Also have some food and drink to hand.

Pass the athame through the incense smoke and say:

"I consecrate you with air"

Pass it over the flames and say:

"I consecrate you with fire"

Sprinkle it with water and say:

"I consecrate you with water"

Sprinkle it with salt and say:

"I consecrate you with earth"

Now hold the athame to you and imbue it with your energy and love. So done, say:

"May you serve me in rituals of sun and moon, in rites of seasonal celebration and as the Wheel turns. I dedicate you to work between the worlds in the service of the Goddess and God"

Go to the east, hold up the athame and say:

"May you be filled with clarity and wisdom"

Move to the south and say

"May you be filled with passion and inspiration"

Move to the west and say:

"May you be filled with intuition and compassion"

Move to the north and say:

"May you be filled with strength and feracity"

Return the athame to the altar and repeat the process with the wand, chalice and pentacle. Once all the tools have been consecrated, fill the chalice with drink and put some food on the pentacle.

Place the tip of the athame into the chalice and bless the liquid within, then place the tip of the wand against the food and bless it too.

(These blessings are to be spontaneous and I chose to involve all the tools so they could be used immediately after consecration, thus binding them physically as well as spiritually)

For this Beltane have some plain paper available and something to draw with. Spend time during the feast to sketch designs for the athame handle so it can be burnt on later.. when I eventually get a pyrographer's tool.

The Beltane Poem

Blossom drifts down from the trees
and caught upon the gentle breeze,
spirals through the honeyed air,
a storm of petals that declare
the Wheel has turned again today
and chased the winter chill away
and in the greenwood, hearts entwine
amongst the flowers, love divine.

Round the May pole dancers spin
gaily weaving summer in.
For Beltane brings the lover's tryst,
the fertile earth, the Goddess kissed
so plants spring forth from seed and grain
and life itself is born again
and in the greenwood, hearts entwine
amongst the flowers, love divine.

When darkness falls the balefire burns
and merrymakers take their turns
to leap the flames with wild delight,
in echo of an ancient rite,
to rid themselves of all that's bane
and wish for all they hope to gain
and in the greenwood, hearts entwine
amongst the flowers, love divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment